Requirements for a BS in Mathematics-Economics
In addition to the requirements for a BS from the School of Arts and Sciences, a mathematics-economics major must complete the following:
- 31 credits in mathematics courses:
- Math 0220, Math 0230, and Math 0240 (12 credits). Note that Math 0220 is a prerequisite for Econ 1100 and Econ 1110.
- Math 0413 (a writing course), Math 0420, and Math 1270 (10 credits).
- Stat 1151 and Stat 1152 (6 credits).
- Math 1180 or Math 1185 (3 credits).
- We strongly recommend that students in the BS Mathematics-Economics
major take at least one field course in mathematics.
The selection of courses that meet this criteria varies
with the choice of specialty in economics. Some suggested
- Economic Theory: Math 1110, Math 1250, Math 1270, or Math 1700.
- Econometrics: Stat 1221, Stat 1311, Stat 1321, Stat 1631, Stat 1631, Stat 1632, Stat 1661, Stat 1761.
- Mathematical Economics: Math 1100, Math 1270, Math 1700.
- Other: Math 1070, Math 1080, Math 1110.
- 27 credits in economics courses:
- Econ 0100 and Econ 0110 (6 credits), with a grade of C or better. Note that students who take Econ 0120 in place of Econ 0100 and Econ 0110 must take an additional economics elective in order to meet the 27-credit requirement.
- Econ 1100 and Econ 1110 (6 credits), with a grade C or better. Note that Math 0120 or 0220 is a prerequisite for Econ 1100 and Econ 1110.
- Econ 1150 (3 credits).
- Econ 1200 (3 credits).
- Two additional 1000-level courses that require either Econ 1100 or 1110 as a prerequisite (6 credits).
- One other elective in economics (3 credits).
- QPA in all courses for the major of 2.0 or better. No required course can be taken using the S/N option.
- One "W" (writing) course in economics.
- Only three credits for Economics 1901-1903 may be applied toward the 27 required credits for the major.